This Honors level course is designed to help students master the 8th grade ELA Common Core State Standards in greater depth and at a faster, more challenging pace than the CP course. Students will work on developing their reading, writing, speaking and critical thinking skills while exploring various genres of literature.
MAJOR WORKS OF LITERATURE: “Flowers for Algernon”, “The Diary of Anne Frank”, Night, Peak,
The Outsiders, Animal Farm, selected readings from the new textbook My Perspectives by Pearson, and independent reading books
WRITING: Narrative, Argument, Literary Analysis, and Explanatory
LANGUAGE: Vocabulary, Grammar, and Oral Presentations
- 3-subject notebook
- Blue/black pens and pencils
- Red correcting pen
- Colored pencils
- College-ruled paper
- Grades are not weighted, rather each assignment is given a point value which is then totaled and converted into a percentage.
- Assessments and writing make up the majority of a student’s grade, while homework and classwork account for a smaller percentage.
- Grades are updated on q.conejousd.org regularly, except for essays and projects which take more time to be assessed.
- Homework is assigned to reinforce concepts taught in class. Students should expect about 20 minutes of homework most weeknights and occasional weekends.
- As this is an Honors level course, NO LATE WORK WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- It is the student’s responsibility to check my web site to identify missed classwork and/or homework and arrange for make-up testing, if needed.
- Students have ONE DAY for each day absent to make up missed work.
- Homework that is assigned prior to an absence is still due on the original due date.
- In the event of computer or printer failure, students should write out the assignment in pen, e-mail it to a friend to print for them, or print it in the library BEFORE school.